Increasing your level of physical activity is one of the best things you can do for your health.
Getting active can be as easy (and as fun!) as going for a walk, riding bikes, or playing sports in the park or community center. Simple changes, like choosing the stairs instead of the elevator, can add up to a big difference.
We’re working to open up schools and community centers for public recreation, and provide safe places to walk and bike, to make it easier to achieve a more active lifestyle.
Right now is the right time for LA County residents and families to starting moving healthy.
Engaging in regular physical activity and exercise – 60 minutes a day for children and 30 minutes a day for adults – can help to:
- Reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke and cancer.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Strengthen bones and muscles.
- Achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Improve mental health and mood.
- Provide opportunities for bonding with family and friends.
- Reduce the risk of becoming overweight or obese and boost self-confidence, especially in children.