It’s recommended that adults get 30 minutes of moderate physical activity each day and children get 60 minutes per day.
You’ll be surprised by the variety of activities you can choose from to achieve a more active lifestyle. By picking physical activities you enjoy and that match your abilities, it will help ensure that you stick with them.
The merits of regular physical activity — from preventing chronic health conditions to promoting weight loss and better sleep — are hard to ignore.
The Mayo Clinic shares these benefits to regular physical activity:
- Exercise improves your mood.
- Exercise combats chronic diseases.
- Exercise helps you manage your weight.
- Exercise boosts your energy level.
- Exercise promotes better sleep.
- Exercise can be fun!
With year-round mild weather, LA County can be your playground for a healthier lifestyle. From bike paths, to skate parks, to beaches, there is something for everyone when it comes to regular physical activity.
Tips to Get Active
Here are a few Let’s Move! activities and steps that you and your family can do to get started on a path to a healthier lifestyle:
- Give children toys that encourage physical activity like balls, kites, and jump ropes.
- Encourage children to join a sports team or try a new physical activity.
- Limit TV time and keep the TV out of a child’s bedroom.
- Facilitate a safe walk to and from school a few times a week.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk around the block after a meal.
- Make a new house rule: no sitting still during television commercials.
- Find time to spend together doing a fun activity: family park day, swim day or bike day.
- Physical activity for everyone: videos.